Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Amici

(~Friends)


I had the fantastic opportunity a few weeks ago to attend a special conference in Riverside, CA, called Time Out for Women. I was able to go as the personal guest of my friend and one of my very favorite singers and songwriters, who was a performer at the conference, Hilary Weeks. I LOVE that woman! What an impact she has made on my life, especially during some very dark times. To think that I admired her music for so long and that now I know her personally is such a gift and witness to me that I am known above. My dear friend, Amber, accompanied me and we both drank up some much needed spiritual and emotional refreshment.

Jane Clayson Johnson, well-known for her years co-hosting the Early Show on CBS, was one of the speakers, and Amber and I had the privilege of getting to spend some time with her during lunch. Jane has recently written a book, I Am a Mother, in which she describes her round-about path to motherhood and her decision to leave a lucrative contract on network television to raise a family. She was very inspiring as she added her endorsement to the divinity and nobility of motherhood. Her book is quite engaging. It's an easy, comfortable, entertaining read, and a lovely glimpse into the heart of an equally lovely woman. I would recommend it.

There were other speakers who all shared messages centering around a theme of living a higher life, finding the mission of our individual journeys here on earth, and letting our lights shine as we do. It was a much needed respite for me, and a great catch-up for Amber and I, as we now live in different states. No matter how much time goes by, the company of an old friend is as comfortable as a favorite pair of jeans. I think we both loved, laughed, and cried enough to get us through till the next time we are able to sneak some girlfriend time.

2 comments:

Luisa Perkins said...

Oh, how I wish I could have been with you and Amber! I'm glad you had your well-deserved Time Out.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been there too! I loved reading Jane's book " I am a Mother".

BTW she looks very tall in the picture you posted. Do you know how tall she is?

Thanks!