Thursday, March 12, 2009

To Mexico!

I got some interesting news yesterday. I guess I won a cruise for 2 to Mexico for 4 days and 3 nights.

That's what I said.

Several months ago, Dylan brought home raffle tickets as a fundraiser for his Students Run Los Angeles club. They were each supposed to sell 50 tickets, with the money going to pay for all the drinks, snacks, and buses for the races throughout the year. I'm kind of cheap, but I like to help the kids at least a little, so I figured, 'what the hey, give me 5.'

5 bucks. I'm not sure if he actually sold any more tickets beside those 5 to me. The Grand Prize was the cruise to Mexico for 2. 2nd prize was 2 roundtrip tickets on Southwest Airlines (2 of those) and 3rd prize was $50 (3 of those).

I tucked my tickets away and forgot about them.

After piano lessons, Dylan said, "Hey Mom, remember those raffle tickets for SRLA?"

And I replied, "Yeah, did I win?"

And he said, "Actually, yes you did. You won the cruise, Mom."

Huh?

I thought he was joking. He's a pretty good jokester. I kept my shock and delight in serious check just in case he was about to pull the rug out from under me and leave me feeling foolish and depressed. For about 30 minutes it went back and forth like this:

"Dylan, if this is some kind of joke, it's not funny."

"Not a joke, Mom."

"Okay, seriously, are you kidding?"

"I'm not kidding, Mom. Mr. Moss drew the names at our meeting today, and he called out 'Jenna Consolo'."

"Dylan, please tell me the truth. Don't play with me. Are you serious?"

And he was.

Holy cow. I won a cruise to Mexico!

Yes, I know it will be the tiniest cabin without a view, and we'll probably have to go in off-season, but so far the only trip Adam and I have ever taken together was to court in Arizona last month. And we had a good time at that, so maybe a cruise would be even better! And we don't have to pay for it!

To celebrate, we had leftover Mexican food and opened up that last bottle of sparkling grape juice left over from Christmas. (I just knew there would be a proper occasion coming up!) Cheers all around!

To Mexico!

19 comments:

Don said...

Ole! That's great!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I am so thrilled for you! With how hard you've been working you more than deserve it!

Megan said...

Felicidades chica!

Lesley said...

A $5 trip to Mexico? I don't think it gets much better than that! Congratulations!!!

Annette Lyon said...

Oh, yay!!! You SO deserve this!

Heidi said...

How wonderful! Woo hoo!

Melanie Jacobson said...

Whoa! That's awesome. I went on my first cruise last August and I loved it. Enjoy!

Amber said...

WOOHOO!!! I'm so happy for you :) Now you guys can have a real honeymoon ;)

Abby said...

Woohoo!!! Congrats! And Doesn't Adam speak Spanish, too??

Wonder Woman said...

Holy flip!! That's incredible!! You TOTALLY deserve it. Have fun, whenever you go!

Sarah said...

LUCKY!! I was just telling Josiah like the day before yesterday (after receiving an email from the place that we stayed a couple years ago when we went there) how much I wish/want to go back there! How awesome to not even have to pay! That would of course be the best part. Well, the cruise makes it sound funner too, rather than driving the 4-5 hours to get there. Man! I am. EN. VI. OUS!!! AND Adam speaks spanish?!?!? That's super lucky! I think Josiah would be able to ask where the bathroom is. Dang it! Well you definitely deserve it! As jealous as I am, I'm super happy that you won! Enjoy it for me too! K?? Love you!

Alejandra said...

Jenna! WOW! That's wonderful, I'm so happy for you guys, you will love it! Let us know when you go, Matt's always looking for a reason to go back :)

Hannah said...

WooHoo!!!! Congratulations! That is so exciting! When do you leave?

Angela said...

CONGRATS!!! YOU DESERVE IT!!

YogaNana said...

That is fantastic! Take lots of pictures to share!

Love,
Mom

Luisa Perkins said...

You SOOOOO deserve this! I am thrilled for you!

Jennifer said...

I am so completely thrilled for you. You deserve a vacation with Adam more than anyone. It makes me happy just thinking about the two of you on that cruise, as though in that moment wrongs have been made right and the world is a better place for it. Disfrutalo!

Brillig said...

Oh my gosh! Congratulations! That's so cool!

family said...

That is amazing ....how many times do I say to you? How do you get these deals!!!