Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Gifts from the Kitchen

Instead of cookies this year, Lyndsay and I made other edible gifts. Lyns' project was chocolate covered pretzel rods. She made them for teachers, friends, and neighbors. (What a load off of my plate, right?) We found pretzel gift bags at Michael's, and some cute Christmas ribbon too.




For the other kids' teachers, I made cookies in a jar, a gift idea I used to do quite often years ago when I lived in Arizona. These particular jars are pretty, with layers of flour, oats, chocolate chips, M&M's, brown, and white sugars. But there are many, many different recipes you can do, from desserts to soups. Here is a great link with recipe ideas. You can google others.

For other friends I made homemade cocoa and spooned it into smaller Mason jars and attached homemade marshmallows for a warm treat. Both recipes are from Martha Stewart's website. Both are exceptionally yummy.


It's not too late if you need some quick and beautiful gift ideas! Or, tuck them away for next year!

3 comments:

Bethany Wiggins said...

Holy wow! It is a good thing you're not my neighbor. I'd be knocking and asking for a Christmas treat. They are beautiful.

Hannah said...

I love the jarred gifts! How cute. I've wanted to make homemade marshmallows for a while now but they seem so daunting to me. Were they very messy to make?

Abby said...

I totally just went into the kitchen and made a batch of that hot cocoa! I halved the recipe..because dude, that's a lot of cocoa! I plopped in some mini marshmallows and topped it with a little whipped cream..mmmm so delicious!! I've also been wanting to make marshmallows since I saw NieNie makes them..and I wanted to try then..but now I see you can add some mint extract and have minty mallows! Holy cow! I'm totally going to need to try to make those! You're the best!