Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Dinnertime: Penne with Sausage and Peas

So I was sitting in the waiting room while Conor was in his speech therapy session and I picked up the latest copy of Family Circle magazine. I saw this recipe and had no paper to copy it onto, so I deftly ripped it from its binding and stuffed it in my purse, feeling so criminal-like. Usually, I get annoyed with people who rip pages from magazines, but a few times I've succumbed myself, I admit. I made this for dinner tonight, and YUM. To make up for all the waiting-room readers I've denied, I shall now post the recipe here, and share with others.

Penne with Sausage and Peas
makes 6 servings
prep time 10 minutes
cook time 12 minutes

4 cups whole-wheat penne pasta, uncooked (12 oz. package)
2 TBS olive oil
1 package fully cooked chicken sausage, sliced on the diagonal
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 pound tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 TBS freshly grated Parmesan cheese


1. Heat a large pot of salted water to boiling. Add pasta and cook according to package directions, 12 minutes. Drain.

2. Meanwhile, heat 1 TBS. of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook 3 minutes,turning a few times, until browned. Scoop at sausage with a slotted spoon onto a plate.

3. Reduce heat to medium and add remaining 1 TBS. oil and the garlic. Cook 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and salt and cook 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, peas, and browned sausage. Heat through.

4. Place cooked pasta in a large bowl. Add sausage mixture and 1 TBS. of Parmesan. Toss to combine. Top with remaining TBS. Parmesan and serve warm.

Per serving: 350 calories; 10 g. fat; 20 g. protein; 50 g. carb; 7 g. fiber; 561 mg sodium; 62 mg cholesterol

No comments: