Monday, July 12, 2010

Oh, How the Years Go By

Tomorrow, my first child turns 16 years old. I can't even really believe it, as I'm sure every mother can understand. I mean, I still can feel her inside my womb, sticking her little heels into my right ribs. And yet, as I write, she's walking gracefully around the house, her hair still wet from the shower, confident and perfectly at ease with herself. I look at her and my eyes mist up. She is the epitome of beauty to me, and not just because she's my daughter. There's really something about her. Always has been. This glow. This inner power. I said it for the first time when she was three, and I still believe it all these years and people later: She is my favorite person on this planet. How I got to carry her, and birth her, and mother her, and watch her grow through childhood is such a privilege to me that I can scarcely talk about her without tears. She's that amazing. You should meet her, really.

And now, she's sixteen. Sweet as can be. The clock ticks louder and louder of the limited time I have left with her in my daily presence, in my home, where I can look at her, watch her, admire her. Learn from her. How I love my sweet Lyns. What a blessing she has been to me these 16 often difficult years. How she deserved so much more, and yet look at what she's made with what she got!

Here's my sweet girl through the years.

Days before she was born.

Newborn Lyns

age 1

age 2

age 3

age 4

age 5

age 6

age 7

age 8

age 9

age 10

age 11

age 12

age 13

age 14

age 15

age 16

And now, to make her a proper cake!

7 comments:

Abby said...

Oh, Lynds! Jenna..she is SO gorgeous it's just ridiculous! And she doesn't just *look* gorgeous..you can just tell from looking at her that she's beautiful through and through. Great job, mama! I love you. I love her. Give her a huge birthday hug from her Aunt Wabs, will ya? <3 <3

Andrea said...

So sweet. She is beautiful.

Raelene said...

Such a beauty! Can't believe she's 16 already. Love you Lyndsay. Happy Sweet 16 Birthday tomorrow. Love, Grandma Holiday.

Saint Holiday said...

Happy Birthday, Lyndsay! Beauty, intellect, charity & spirituality -the very reflection of her angel mother, and she's only 16. What a wonderful young lady. I love her.

The Ancient of Weeks

Anonymous said...

When I grow up, I want to have it all together like Lynz! ;)

What great photos, Jenna. Each one has tugged on my heart, and I sit here a very proud father.

Lynz has learned wisdom beyond her years, and continues to give to others the great blessing of being a part of her life.

Thanks, Jenna. Thanks, Lyndsay. You make me feel so good. Keep it up, and I will see you in 2 days!!! Woo Hoo!

Happy Birthday to my sweet 16!

DADam

YogaNana said...

Wow, it really does fly, doesn't it? Beautiful girl! Happy birthday and guess what? Your card will be late.

Love,
Nana

Annette Lyon said...

I haven't commented in awhile (but I have been reading!), so I'm hereby repenting.

This post totally puts a knot in my throat. She's gorgeous--and man, time flies!