Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Lessons in Love #2

Some say there's a bright side to everything.

Last week I was able to have a much needed and long overdue in-depth conversation with my friend, Luisa. Luisa is my mentor, given to me by God, (everyone should have a mentor!) and, as it turns out, is just a bit farther down the path of enlightenment regarding some tough issues I'm dealing with presently. We hardly ever get to talk anymore, though there was a time that we spoke on the phone at least once a day. Now, the kids are older, life is busier, there's that dang time difference being as we're on opposite coasts. . .

Our talk was wonderfully uplifting and encouraging. I even had the thought that this very conversation was reason enough for us to find friendship in each other almost twelve years ago on the internet. My heart was so, so grateful.

A few days later, a package arrived with some books that Luisa had sent to help further me along. Books that had helped her. I read everything that Luisa tells me to, and I got right to work on these ones. Let me say, that I felt completely wrapped in love as I read the first, and then the second, and then the third. Loved by Luisa, yes, of course, but also, loved by God. I felt that I had done at least a few things right to end up right here, right now, receiving direction and guidance, when my soul desperately needs it.

I had to drop my Sociology class. It was only a six week course, fast-tracked, and the second class was an exam on the first five textbook chapters. The problem was, though I had ordered my textbook before the first week, it did not arrive until the day of the second class, and I just knew I couldn't walk into an exam that unprepared (ie, clueless). So, I made the decision to just drop the class and take it again later.

Last night, as I lay in bed, still reading, reading, reading (and absorbing, lightening, enlarging, humbling, learning, craving, etc.) I had the thought that it was a blessing that Amazon took so long to deliver my text to me. Had my book come promptly, like most other Amazon orders, I would be reading Sociology day and night. Because I am not, I can read these other books, and gain so much more. I think the timing was so magnificently orchestrated: my talk with Luisa, her books, dropping my class.

I'm still in school, don't get me wrong. There was just a more important class to take, with much more important information for me to be learning right at this moment. And a good student learns to recognize the Teacher.

p.s.--Amber said YES! She's preparing her story as we speak, and it shall be posted soon! Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Kortni said...

I would love to know what books you are reading.

Luisa Perkins said...

I'm in tears! You're such a blessing to me. I hope you'll give me detailed reviews of all the books when you have time. (I know: ha, ha.)