Saturday, March 2, 2013

Be Nice to Your Rice: The Rice Experiment


after 1 week

Have you ever heard of Dr. Masaru Emoto and his water crystals experiment?  This was a series of experiments in which water was exposed to different stimuli and then frozen and the crystals photographed through a microscope. The water was exposed to prayer, words, music, and pictures, and the crystals were varied by stimulus and each one was unique.  I've longed been intrigued by what the results suggest. The Rice Experiment is another of Dr. Emoto's experiments, attempting to demonstrate that the power of thoughts and intentions can alter physical reality. 

We did the Rice Experiment for a Family Home Evening project. We placed cooked rice into two clean jars and labeled one "Love" and the other "Hate." Each day we were each supposed to talk to the rice. To the "Love" rice we said affirming, positive, loving words, like "You're so wonderful. Thank you so much. I love you. You are worthy and good." To the "Hate" rice we said mean things like, "You are stupid, rotten, and worthless. You are a fool. You are no good. I hate you." And we waited.

On Day 3 mold began to appear in the "Hate" rice.

After a week, we compared them for our follow-up lesson:


There was significant molding in the "Hate" rice, while the "Love" rice remained almost as fresh looking as Day 1. 

I thought it was interesting that one of the mold shapes in the "Hate" rice was shaped like a heart, as if it was crying out for love. (I realize this was purely coincidental, don't worry.)


After the week, we sort of fell off the wagon with our consistency, but the rice continued to sit on the counter. I would talk to it when I remembered. After almost 2 weeks, you can see that there is a bit of mold beginning to grow in the "Love" rice, but there is a dramatic difference between the two jars, with the "Hate" rice being much more rotten.


I believe in the power of words and thoughts. I have felt their positive and negative effects in my life. According to Dr. Emoto, it is the water in the rice that is responding to the energy of our words and intentions. Well, what are we? Pretty much water. (Same theory applies to plants, which are mostly water. Talk and sing to your plants!) 

I know how positive, encouraging words from others seep into my soul and make me feel full of light, while hateful, condemning words blacken my mind and mood. I can remember several times after a marital fight, trying to just go out for a run and not being able to run nearly as long as I knew I could. Feeling just absolutely defeated and broken. I also know that my thoughts have a tremendous impact on my performance and belief about myself. Positive thoughts are truly empowering. 

Rudyard Kipling said, "I am by nature a dealer in words, and words are the most powerful drug known to humanity." That makes me think of this experiment and the power of my words on my children (and others in my life.) I am far from perfect when choosing my words with my children, and I am trying to choose my words and my tone more carefully. I want to fortify them against the rotting effects of the world.

So, we love the Rice Experiment! Give it a try!

6 comments:

Andrea said...

No way! That's amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I'm doing this next FHE!!
Sara

Luisa Perkins said...

I really want to try this to satisfy the skeptics at our house.

Luisa Perkins said...

We're doing this tonight for FHE. Can't wait! I also can't wait to come back and read all your juicing posts.

Anonymous said...

Do you take the lid off and speak into to the jar?

Jenna said...

No, don't need to take the lid off. Speak right at it through the glass.