Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Little Lovelies

A few things worth celebrating:

~Over the weekend southern CA finally got a much needed rainstorm. The boys all wanted to go to the park anyway, and what the heck, we did. We headed out during only a light rain, and stayed till the downpour returned, running back to the car with wet baby in tow. It was delightful, I have to say.



~Conor has discovered storybooks! (And Nana, we can't find our copy of Goodnight, Moon anywhere. Or Pajama Time!)



~The flower seeds that Luisa sent me over the summer are blooming like mad!

~Lyndsay wrote a really great subjective voice narrative about a rabbit, that almost made her cry as she read it to me. (She has such a soft heart for animals.)

"There had been an unusual amount of snow. It was sad to see the small rabbit having such a terrible time digging down deep enough to get to any of the dried grasses and the small limbs of the bushes it had to eat that winter. The trap snapped shut...

The jaws of that rusty old trap caught the fragile bunny's hind leg, causing him to panic with pain. He tried and tried to escape, but after a few minutes the innocent victim's leg started bleeding from the intense pressure of the sharp teeth of the trap. He was exhausted from the lack of food and all energy that he had stored was quickly disappearing because of the futile struggle. He decided to use the very last bit of energy he could muster up for one last hope of getting out alive. He took a deep breath to calm down his panicing lungs and started kicking, jumping, and running, but that poor bunny's last attempt failed. Not being able to move, he laid down and closed his little eyes, and was never able to open them again."


~Dylan and Aiden are walking around the house chanting happily, "Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species!" and I think I've finally got it!

~Aiden is reading Little House in the Big Woods, and is loving it. This is good since last year in public school dampened his interest in books. Here is his illustration from today's reading:

~I wish I could put a video on here of Lyndsay reciting the Declaration of Independence. It's such a powerful document anyway, but to hear your 13 year old recite it from memory is almost more than a mother can take. Talk about tears!

It's the little things that make a Mama happy in her heart!

5 comments:

Luisa Perkins said...

That Lyns: SO perfect. LOVE her.

Kings play chess on fine green sand! That's how I've been remembering it for at least 25 years...

I love the flowers!

Anonymous said...

hi jenna:
totally awesome how lyndsay is able to recite that! whoo hoot! and i bet i know where she got that tender heart from, eh? mom. awesome how the good stuff gets to you. makes you more real and more dear.

such goodies. glad to see you relishing them. your ending makes me think of "in the small blessings in each day, His glory is revealed to us," and Alma 37:6, and D&C 64:33 (these are great scriptures about small and simple things). you've got it, you know what matters most.

sweet post. and BTW, hope your scripture reading challenger was really good for you today. i spent time in the book of John.

blessings,
kathleen :)

ps. and your sister sarah told me hi today for the 1st time, how cool :)

Laurie said...

You are amazing! Look at all the great things that your kids are doing and you need to take some (all)credit for being so inspiring. I have learned (from my own personal failures) that it takes great mom's to have great homeschool days. I hope that you don't mind me reading your blog. I love the excitement and love for your work that I feel when I read yyour posts. You inspire me! Thank you for sharing!

Jacquie said...

What an awesome drawing!

Laurie said...

I just realized that you cannot find who I am because there is no link to my blog on my profile page. If you're interested so that you know I'm not some crazy blog reader, my address is www.mypricelesstreasures.blogspot.com Come by and visit if you want.