Friday, August 31, 2007

The Beach, Part One












We have lived in the Los Angeles area for two years now, and had not, until last weekend, ever taken a family trip to the beach. We've all been to the beach, just not together. On our last weekend together before school starts, we figured it was about time. We packed up the Durango; a cooler full of Gatorade, water, fruit, and sandwiches; chairs; umbrellas; towels; snacks; games; books; sand toys; and six children--and headed for Manhattan Beach, which made me feel closer to my dear friend, Luisa.

Apparently, my husband hates sand even more than I do. Having never been to the beach with him, this struck me as odd, considering that he isn't even close to being the tidiest person I've ever met. He spread out a huge blanket and designated it the "Sand-Free Zone", and no one dared to kick sand onto it, except Conor. Adam worked tirelessly keeping the Sand-Free Zone sand-free, which was funny to watch. Just when you get it clean, the sand shows up again. "Welcome to my life," I said, watching him brushing off sand over and over again. In this zone, he and the girls played card and dice games and I read my latest fave from the Arbinger Institute, The Anatomy of Peace. The boys played at the water's edge gathering sand crabs and filling buckets with them. Conor, as it turns out, LOVES the beach. The sand, the water, the waves, the birds. All of it. The day was a delight. I think as a family, we pretty much rock.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You have absolutely beautiful children. I may have said it before, but I have to say it again.

I laughed pretty hard over the "sand-free zone . . . welcome to my world comment."

Sounds like you guys had a blast. Made me wish for a day at the beach myself. Alas, I am surrounded by my very beautiful mountains and anxiously awaiting tomorrow's football game. Oh well, maybe someday soon.

Abby said...

Sounds like fun. Who gave the kids permission to grow up? Gorgeous pictures, btw.. I love the one of Aiden!

YogaNana said...

The pictures are incredible -- excellent work!

And what's not to love about the beach? Ocean and forest, two of the best things there are -- anyone close to either one is supremely lucky.

Anonymous said...

I always forget you are in CA with me. I guess I put you by Luisa in my head. Not that you live close though - to me that is. Or to Luisa, okay, never mind what am I saying. You have a beautiful family btw.

Luisa Perkins said...

Oooh, gotta get The Anatomy of Peace.

Have you guys tried the card game The Great Dalmuti? It's awesome! I think you'd love it.

injenuity said...

Hi! I added your blog to the RSS on one of my groups at http://www.momreality.com I hear you can get sand off with baby powder! I've never tried it, but it sounds like it may be worth a shot!