Thursday, September 18, 2008

Conor Goes to the Dentist

I stayed up late last night rereading some of my favorite Nicholas Sparks books. Today I had the opportunity to interview him on a conference call through Blogher, and I wanted to have my questions in order. I reread Nights in Rodanthe, because the film based on his book is due out next week. I must see it. Especially with Richard Gere and Diane Lane paired again. And I reread Three Weeks with My Brother, because I just really like it. I spent much of the morning doing research in preparation. I didn't want to ask anything that I could find the answer to myself. My reading and research only made me more fond of him as a man and as a writer. Having the opportunity to talk to him this afternoon was a humongous thrill for me, as I've been a fan for many years, so stay tuned, and I'll post all about that very soon.

But besides being immersed in Nicholas Sparks today, Conor had his first trip to the dentist! I have never taken a 2 year old to the dentist before, but I'm aware that the ADA recommends that babies even younger go for check-ups, and since we have great dental insurance, we made an appointment. I talked with Conor about it for the week leading up to today, how he would go to the nice dentist and the dentist would look at his cute teeth and make them shiny and take all the germ bugs off. He seemed excited. Of course, he doesn't talk, but a mother knows.


What a blessing it is to have a pediatric dentist! There are so many toys and books and movies playing and fun things to do and look at, that even when it was over Conor didn't want to leave. He sat in the dental chair for a bit, but in the end the dentist decided it would be easier for him to hold still if he sat facing me on my lap and then reclined back into his on a pillow. He was right. Conor went into a trance as he lay there, but he sure was good and cooperative. He got all his teeth polished and cleaned. And we got the early diagnosis of "this kid's gonna need braces". He is a serious thumb-sucker (the dentist encouraged me to have him kick that habit as soon as possible. Yeah right. Let me get right on that.) and his teeth are big. Overcrowding already. Runs in my family and Adam's. Oh well. No cavities though, thankfully.


Conor posed for some pictures with his dentist and then promptly ran back to the play room. He wasn't happy to leave. But he was excited to show Daddy his sparkly teeth, so that was a good enough diversion to make a break for it and head back home.

8 comments:

Abby said...

I'll admit it..I still have yet to take any of my kids to the dentist. I know I need to especially since Calix will be 3 (THREE!!!!) next week and it's free for us. There really aren't any excuses as to why I haven't. I suppose I'll need to make appointments for both of them asap. Oy. Thanks for the reminder though! Glad Conor had all kinds of fun! That little sweetie pie!

Wonder Woman said...

Need to get my kids in, too. Luckily, my kids have small teeth with gaps between them, so we might luck out in the braces dept. I'm scared about cavaties, though. No flouride in the water here, and I'm not the best about having my kids brush. Oh, I'm scared of the dentist now!!

Wonder Woman said...

And I'd LOVE to hear about interviewing Nicholas Sparks!! The Notebook is my absolute favorite movie. And "Nights in Rodanthe" looks really good.

Sarah said...

Ugh! Do you see my hand raised? I need to get my kids in also! Camden and Trenton have never been yet. Rylie and Alyssa need to go back. Not my favorite thing in the world. I need to get myself back in also. UGH!

YogaNana said...

How wonderful to have good dental insurance and kids at the same time! Looks like a fine time was had by all.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Emma keeps telling me her teeth are broken because she wants to go back to the dentist.

What that girl won't do for free toys and stickers...

Misty said...

i agree... i miss our ped. dentist in michigan a lot. not that our new one isn't great- it's just not the same.
Which reminds me (thanks) i need to call him.

I'm glad it went well. I was bummed that I had a meeting and couldn't do the call. Sad times... there were a lot of people flipping out because I didn't just cancel my meeting... I couldn't though, or I would have. :)

and p.s. I adore you too... :)but thanks! It was nice to hear!

Heather Moore said...

It's good to start them young. My kids LOVE the dentist. My husband thinks they're weird :)