Thursday, September 4, 2008

First Day Breakfast

Lyndsay, 9th grade

Dylan, 7th grade

Aiden, 3rd grade

The first day is behind us! Nobody died and even Lyndsay came home smiling. This is a good beginning. I am so thrilled for them and the opportunites that await them. Even though we do not live in a great school district, I have a confirmed assurance that these particular schools are exactly where the kids should be. They will learn many things, gain strength in experience and testimony, and be lights in their schools. I feel certain of that.
But, of course, there was a pang of sadness as I sent them off.

As promised, here is the recipe for our traditional Back-to-School breakfast of Stuffed French Toast. It's very yummy, I assure you. Provided, of course, that you're not so nervous about starting high school that you can eat without throwing up.




Stuffed French Toast


1 8oz. package of cream cheese
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
(Blend all of that together with a mixer. Then, stir in...)
1 cup berries

(I cut up fresh strawberries, but you could use blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, or even frozen fruit, thawed. Heck, I'm sure peaches would be good too. Go wild.)


whip together in a pie plate or shallow dish:
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla

Then, you need 1 loaf of fresh french bread, unsliced. Slice the bread in thick (2 inch) slices on the diagonal. Then, use a sharp knife to make a slit and then a pocket in each slice of bread. Spoon 2-3 TBS of the fruit and cheese mixture inside the pocket. Dip both sides of the bread in the egg mixture and then cook on a buttered griddle. Serve with warm syrup or powdered sugar.

12 comments:

Momo Fali said...

Um...please stop setting the bar too high for us lazy parents! My kids got Rice Krispies.

Pezlady Jana said...

Ummm like YUM! You are super mom! My kids are lucky to get oatmeal. WOW! Their pictures look so awesome! You can tell that they were excited for school to start.

Wonder Woman said...

These sound positively delicious! I'm copying down the recipe right now. Seriously.

Your kids are too cute.

Brillig said...

Wow! I think my kids got... um... cereal. Haha. Of COURSE your kids came home smiling! With a mom like you, who wouldn't?

Laski said...

OK, if my mom would have made that for me back in the day, I wouldn't have even needed an alarm clock . . .

Congrats on a successful first day!

Lesley said...

droollll.....I'm definitely making this! And great first day photos! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

ohhh so yummy! I have go clean the drool off my keyboard.

Abby said...

Those look (and sound) insanely delicious! I'll have to steal this one from you and stick it in my recipe box to use at a later date. You're rad, Jen!

Anonymous said...

I'm finally leaving a comment!!! I can't believe how your kids have grown - Lyns is a total babe! Where did that little girl go? I love that Aiden looks the exact same, just bigger - man I miss that kid. And Dylan, what a stud! Seeing them made my heart ache that time has gone by so quickly. You are inspiring as usual and I love to read your thoughts and daily happenings. Love you guys!

Don said...

Back to school is the BEST!

And those stuffed French toast's look mighty fine. I think we may need to give them a try.

We made strawberry muffins for our kid's fist day. They fell so far they looked more like strawberry biscuits.

Oh, well. Taste is what counts, right?

Stop and smell the Daisies said...

Yummy! I am going to have to try this one. And, I am with the rest of these ladies...I think my kids got cereal the first day of school. I always think to do the fun stuff when it's too late to actually pull it off. I guess I need to get on the ball.

lesa said...

A lot of times on sunday nights we resort to making breakfast for dinner. I didn't have all the ingredients but this is what I came up with. Your same idea but with wheat bread, shmear with peaches, dipped in the egg mixture, and syrup. It was delicious. Thanks for the recipe idea!