Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Little of This, a Little of That

I feel extremely restricted in blogging right now. I hate feeling restricted with what I want to write about, but you fellow bloggers understand the dilemma I'm facing, I'm sure. I've been thinking, there's got to be something I can put out there for the masses who love Cranberry Corner, and come here with such dedication. :)

But at this moment there isn't much. Lots going on. Not much I can share on my blog.

So.

When in doubt, give some random updates!

Piano business is down a bit right now. I had a few students who stopped lessons for the summer who haven't started back yet, and then I had to let three others go who didn't want to play by the rules. That's okay. I feel so much better when I stand up for myself and don't allow others to create my life for me. New students will come. And in the meantime, I've needed the slower pace.

Lyndsay is learning the lessons of life. She is doing well with her busy schedule that starts before dawn to get ready for Seminary, and then her full school load and then straight to work with the little triplets. Her bank account is growing, as is her self-confidence that she can do hard things. But it isn't easy. How she loves her weekends! She is becoming a master at time management!

Dylan joined the Students Run L.A. club (SRLA) This is a running club that meets after school twice a week and on Saturday mornings and the ultimate goal is to run the L.A. marathon. Dylan loves to run, and his dad loves to run, so this is something they can share, even across the miles. I am extremely proud of his desire to commit to something so difficult and strenuous. I know he will experience tremendous growth not only physically, but mentally and spiritually as well, as he sets goals and has to push forward when everything in him wants to STOP and REST. Our only dilemma has been that some of the races (these are state and national races that the students get free entrance into for being in SRLA) are on Sunday's, and the kids have never participated in Sunday recreation. We talked about it and Dylan talked with his coach (who is also a member of the Church), and decided that Dylan will not participate in the small races on Sunday's, but he will participate as much as possible, and next year when our Church schedule changes he can run and then come to his meetings. It's difficult because this is something he really wants to do, and dedication is very important. I believe it will be very good for him to work towards something as challenging as a marathon. I believe there are a great deal of spiritual lessons that he can learn in this experience, as well as the fact that I know he will stand out on his team. SRLA is predominantly a club set up to give inner-city kids a safe and demanding activity that helps keep them busy and teaches them to set goals and work towards hard things, building their confidence. Many of the youth that participate in schools around Los Angeles become the first members of their entire families to graduate from high school and go on to college. What an accomplishment! The SRLA club at Dylan's school is the largest running club of any Middle School in the entire nation. Last year over 140 kids from his school ran and finished the L.A. marathon! That is astounding!

I'm feeling behind and overwhelmed at home. I feel like I just can't get on top of everything that needs to be done, and I don't even know where to start. I am so exhausted, so drained, so sleepy, that I just don't have the energy to begin. I am doing the important things. Of that I am aware. We have scripture study every morning when Lyndsay gets back from Seminary. I cook breakfast every day. I pack healthy school lunches, and make reasonable dinners. I have my own personal scripture study and I write in my journal. We have Family Home Evening, and I know what's going on in all of the kids' classes at school. But my house needs help. It's not that tidy and it's not that clean. I'm sick of white walls that are dirty and can't be washed without taking the paint off too. The whole house should be painted inside--that would really lift my spirits!--and the carpets need to be shampooed again. I would really love to have sod put down in the backyard so Conor can actually go outside to play, and maybe a little raised bed garden for a thing of beauty, and a diversion from all that brings me down in life. At the first sign of financial stability, I'm hiring a housekeeper, let it be known! I just need some help and I like a clean house. I'm talking deep-down clean.

Anyway, I shall not complain too loudly. I have many more causes to rejoice. And now I will be on the lookout for many more causes to blog because I've missed it!

7 comments:

Wonder Woman said...

I feel ya on the big things going on that are too big to blog about. Have some of that myself of late.

It's good that you're doing the important things, and realize they're important. It's important to prioritize, but when the things on the bottom of the list continue to not get done, they can become big things, huh? I wish I could come in help you clean one day! I do NOT like to clean my own house, but for some reason have no problem helping others do their homes.

And I've got some paint on my walls and I love it. We did it just before we moved it. I hope you can find a day to kick everyone out for a few hours and get some color up. =D Or not....but hopefully some day.

Abby said...

Oooo now you've got me all curious and what not on the unblogable.

I'm proud of the kids for everything they're accomplishing..what great people!

And trust I feel you on the painting of the walls. I'm SOOOO sick of white walls..but moving is hectic enough without worrying about repainting them white, ya know? Especially when there's no real telling how long you're going to be in any given place. So I suffer.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I think it's possible to count our blessings and yet be frustrated at the same time. A strange dichotomy but it happens a lot, I find.

I wish I lived nearby so I could come over and help. Nothing like a bit of gal time whilst cleaning, laughing, and dancing to good music all the while.

Sarah said...

Well the other 3 previous commentors already said the things I wanted to say, so now I feel like me saying them would just be, well...redundant.

Like Abby, I'm curious what's going on. Being family and all, I think we get a little more concerned than the typical dedicated Cranberry Corner reader. Just know we love you and are thinking of you.

I was going through some pics this morning and came across one that was taken at the temple just after Josiah & I were married. I had to giggle when I saw Lynday & Dylan and how SMALL they were! And now to read all the things they are doing! They are growing up soo fast! It only bothers me so much though, because my own kids are doing the same thing! They just don't stop!

Anonymous said...

I totally understand not wanting to post about every detail, I sensor myself on my blog.

I hope whatever is going on finds a solution soon.. xoxox

A slower life is something I crave right now, though I feel like it is slipping away from me..

Misty said...

good to hear from you, of course... I've missed you!
BUT i completely get the whole "can't say much" thing... and sometimes, when that's all your heart wants to talk about - we miss the other stuff...

Life ticks on said...

I just want you to know that with school having started you are not the only one who is feeling run down and tired.

All four of my lil monkeys went back to school 3 wks ago. My youngest monkey missed the entire second week after she got a cold that turned into pneumonia. (the cold she shared with us all *thank you sweetie we love you too*)

With all of them in school all I want to do is sit. I need to get on with the housework. I am worn out though. My oldest two have to be out at the bus at 6 am. Then the two little ones have to be dropped off at 730. I have all day but it seems nothing ever gets accomplished.

I did want to say that I am glad your oldest is adapting to the new schedule, I remember how hard that was when I was a teen. So many many GOOD JOBs to her!