Friday, July 31, 2009

Oh, Mommy, Can We Keep Him?

Oh, so tempting! I'm a sucker for cute little furry things. And I'm one of those odd people that think that even grown up possums are adorable.

This little one, oh, I'm so worried about him! As I was backing out of the driveway for speech therapy this morning, I saw him scuttle up the sidewalk. He's so new his eyes aren't even opened all the way yet, and when he opens his mouth, no sound comes out. Where is his mama? Probably sleeping. Like all babies, this one has his days and nights mixed up, apparently. Poor little guy. I didn't know what to do to help him.

Lyndsay so wanted to bring him home and care for him, and I was torn, but ultimately decided to let nature take its course. Darn it. I hope his mama wakes up and finds him soon! The poor baby's got to be starving!

God bless all the little (motherless) creatures!

2 comments:

Luisa Perkins said...

Aw, poor little guy.

Situations like that always make me cry--and we get plenty of critters here, as I'm sure you can imagine.

You did the right thing, though. You always do.

Saint Holiday said...

When I was younger and had run away from home and was living in a tent out in the forests of NJ, four of these little creatures walked into my tent one day and cuddled up to me. We got along very well for a time, and then they just disappeared one day. Remember the possum we took into our house in Merchantville (One Dirty tree? We had to run it back outside when we saw he was covered with fleas! Roaches and head lice are bad enough, but when you add fleas to the mix, it's just too much, even in the best of families. I love you.

The Ancient of Weeks