Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Something My Mom Can Eat

My mom is feeling short of options. She's diabetic and has gotten so good at watching and managing her sugars, but now she's got a new kink in her chain: gluten intolerance. This has made finding suitable meals quite tricky for her. I think about her often, as I'm planning dinners for my family, going through recipes. "Nope, Mom couldn't eat this. Nope, not this either." And then, on the cover of my Cooking Light magazine I saw these deliciously fresh Chicken and Guacamole Tostadas and thought to myself, "Hey! Mom could eat this!"

First I made some fresh guacamole. Mash one ripe, peeled avocado in a small bowl. (I put mine in the food processor though.) Stir in 2 TBS. of tomato, 1 TBS. onion, minced, 1 TBS. lime juice, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1 small garlic clove, minced.

Then, I made some fresh pico. Combine 1 cup of diced tomato (I used a green tomato and a red tomato, so there's extra green in mine, but it's all tomato.), 2 TBS. diced onion, 1 TBS. lime juice, 1/4 tsp. slat, 1 TBS. chopped fresh cilantro, and 1 TBS. minced seeded jalapeno. Toss well.

For the chicken, I just bought a rotisserie chicken and took all the meat off. You need about 2 cups of shredded chicken. To the chicken, add 1 TBS. lime juice and 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika and toss well to combine.

You can use premade tostada shells, but I just fried my own corn tortillas. Spread about 1 TBS. of guacamole on each shell, top each with 1/4 cup shredded chicken mixture, and add 2 TBS. of the salsa. I sprinkled just a touch of Monterey Jack cheese on the top and served black beans on the side. A serving is two tostadas. (You'll notice Dylan has three.)

So very, very yummy.

Recipe list, all together:

1 ripe peeled avocado
1 cup plus 2 TBS. finely chopped tomato, divided
3 TBS. minced fresh onion, divided
3 TBS. fresh lime juice, divided
1/2 tsp. salt, divided
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 TBS. chopped fresh cilantro
1 TBS. minced seeded jalapeno pepper
2 cups shredded, skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
8 (6 inch) corn tostada shells

1 comment:

YogaNana said...

Aww, thanks, Jen! We'll try it!


Love, Mom

tiring of nuts and berries