Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Dim the lights!

This morning when I staggered into the bathroom at the early morning hour of 5:00, and flipped on the light, every single bulb but one blew out. (There were six before.) It was like a small pyrotechnics display. I remembered that we are out of lightbulbs (of course), and the ambiance was nice, so I took my shower and it even occurred to me that with such low light, it was probably easier for Adam to keep sleeping, since we don't have a door separating our bathroom from our bedroom.

When I stepped out of the shower and had to face the mirrors on all sides, I paused and thought, "You know, girl, you look better in less light." And it has stayed with me all day long. It's a woman's nature to get up to that mirror, with the bright light overhead, and examine for new wrinkles, spots, blackheads, cellulite, or other imperfections. We are, truly, our toughest critic. Well, I couldn't see a darn thing, and it was NICE. Maybe I should stop looking at myself under such direct light. Maybe the one lightbulb bathroom could revolutionize the way I start to see myself, and then, the way I treat myself.

Hopefully, lightbulbs don't go on sale next week.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

jenna:
you have a beautiful warm spirit about you and it comes through in your writings.

your cheerleader :) ha

Sarah said...

This is so true! I wear contacts but I'm not completely blind w/out them. I can see well enough that my body is nearly perfect when I pass the mirror in the morning to get into the shower. If only I could go like that all day...

Hannah said...

I actually taped a scripture verse to my bathroom mirror. It's 2 Corinthians 10:5. I like to say it outloud while looking in the mirror.

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Low light is good! It sort of softens everything doesn't it?

Luisa Perkins said...

Love you, babe!

Caffeine Court said...

Hey - it's all about the lighting!

I think about you when I wake up in the morning at 7:30 or 8. I am so amazed that you get up at 5!! It's such a lovely time of day-but I just can't drag my heinie out of bed that early.

... said...

great thought. maybe i should unscrew some of my lights. i can only imagine what bright lights do to you at 5:00 in the morning =]

Anonymous said...

Ha, Ha! Think I'm going to go remove some lightbulbs! : )

(Love your blog header by the way - beautiful!)

Anonymous said...

How do you get up at 5:00 am. I must sleep more than most people! You are beautiful in any light!:)

Josi said...

I have a plasma TV and it has different 'zooms' you can set the picture to. I discovered that on 'wide" all those size two women looked like a nice size 10. Made me feel right at home. Maybe I need to switch it back...

Tristi Pinkston said...

This must be why some women say they look best by candlelight. :)

I really noticed yesterday how terrible I look when I'm tired. This is another plug for letting me sleep in.

Annette Lyon said...

Now if only we could go outside and have the dim light follow.