Friday, October 12, 2007

Nature Scavenger Hunt





Today was a field trip for the Caelum Academy (our homeschool) to Hansen Dam, to hike the nature trails and find items on our scavenger hunt list for Apologia Science. It occurred to me how many more items my children saw first than I did. I suppose that's one of the charming things about being with children. They're not only lower to the ground, they truly still have eyes to see. This is what they found from the list:
an anthill
Birds using the water, other than ducks/geese. These are white herons.

A dragonfly


A spider with its egg sac

An insect laying eggs on a leaf. This is one hard working spittle-bug.

So, there's some obscure observations from nature for you, on this fine Friday afternoon. Cheers.

6 comments:

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

What a fun day. I love those outside nature adventures. You're right, it's always so neat to see things through the eyes of your children.

Luisa Perkins said...

Terrific day! I envy you.

Ritsumei said...

I'm impressed with that dragonfly shot! Those buggers always flit off before I manage to get a decent shot. I agree, walking with children is definitely a much more wonder-full experience than walking with adults.

Unknown said...

More lovely photographs from you. Thanks for sharing. You take the best. I have a fun sunset video on my blog today. You might enjoy :-)

Sarah said...

Jenna, I'm so glad to hear that the package arrived quickly. Can't wait to see pics!

Catherine said...

Awesome pictures - you sound like a great mommy. :)